[EP-tech] email notification on a specific metadata field value change

Thank you, John!  Yes, that worked for me, the function looks like this:

$c->add_dataset_trigger( 'eprint', EPrints::Const::EP_TRIGGER_BEFORE_COMMIT, sub
{
    my( %args ) = @_;
    my( $session, $eprint, $changed ) = @args{qw( repository dataobj changed )};

   if( exists $changed->{'field_of_interest'} )
    {
        my $old_val = $changed->{'field_of_interest'};
        my $new_val = $eprint->get_value( 'field_of_interest');

                        my $user = $eprint->get_user();
                        my $username = EPrints::Utils::tree_to_utf8( $user->render_description() );

        # generate an email alert
                        if ($old_val eq 'FALSE' && $new_val eq 'TRUE') {
                                    print STDERR "field_of_interest Changed from ".$old_val." ".$new_val." SEND NOTIFICATION EMAIL";

                                    my $message = $session->make_element( "p" );
                                    $message->appendChild( $session->make_text("Hello " . $username.","));
                                    $message->appendChild($session->make_element( "br" ));
                                    $message->appendChild($session->make_element( "br" ));

                                    my $title = $session->make_element( "strong" );
                                    $title->appendChild($session->make_text($eprint->get_value("title")));

                                    $message->appendChild($session->make_text( "This email is to let you know that the following item you deposited: "));
                                    $message->appendChild($title);
                                    $message->appendChild($session->make_text(" (".$eprint->get_url().")"));
                                    $message->appendChild($session->make_text(" has changed in a specific way."));

                                    my $ok = $user->mail("field_change_phrase",$message);
                        }

    }
}, priority => 73);

This works!  The only thing is, I would like the action to register in the history for the item, any idea how would I do that?

Tomasz