[EP-tech] Internal server error when refreshing views

                I run an eprints3 site at sigpubs.si.washington.edu. It generally works fine except when a view regenerates I get an internal server error.

To recreate this issue I can login, go to Admin:System Tools, and then click on Regenerate Views, which as I understand it, causes all views to be regenerated whenever I request them. For example, I can go to  menu Browse:Browse by Subjects, then click on any of the subjects in my customized subject list, as for example, my first subject, "3-D Reconstruction". I then get "Internal Server Error". If I then refresh the browser page the error goes away and the correct view appears. This view then remains correct for as long as I've tested it, but I think there may be a timeout when it gets regenerated again.

I looked in the apache server log and find this error whenever I get the Internal Server Error:

Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at /opt/eprints3/perl_lib/XML/DOM/NamedNodeMap.pm line 142.\n, referer: http://sigpubs.si.washington.edu/view/subjects/

I  am running what I think is the latest stable version of Eprints: 3.4.3, on Ubuntu 20.04, perl version 5.30, apache2. Apache is running as www-data.www-data. The repository is owned by eprints.eprints, and www-data is in group eprints so it can write files to the repository. I don't think permissions are the issue because once I refresh the page the view is OK, and the files in the views directory are changed.

I've searched the web and this mailing list and can't find this particular situation. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jim Brinkley

Structural Informatics Group

University of Washington

Seattle USA