Re: [EP-tech] Upgrading to 3.4.3 - an experience

Hi Ravi,

I will look into why the upgrade did not do an update as well.  The reason why you won't have been able to login is that various new fields have been added to the user data object / record.  These are mainly to provide better security to temporarily lock accounts when there have been too many failed password attempts in a set period of time.

I would generally say that EPrints from APT or YUM/DNF package management is generally not advised for production repositories.  Packages are more intended for installing EPrints for testing and evaluation purposes.  If you have a fairly vanilla repository updates are unlikely to cause any significant problems but the more bespoke your repository the more likely upgrading through the package manager is to cause you repository to fail.  This is especially the case if parts of the core codebase have been modified on your installation.  Although the package manager should warn you, if you choose not to use the latest version of a file being installed, it is likely this will leave you with an inconsistent version of EPrints that cannot be run.

Regards

David Newman