[EP-tech] Plan S - Persistent Identifiers

Hi All,

For once I have not broken anything, just looking for opinions and advice.

As part of Plan S we need to have persistent identifiers for scholarly publications. I have read this EPrints wiki:

https://wiki.eprints.org/w/Plan_S

At Liverpool we aren't 100% sure about this topic. DOI would be the obvious choice, but there are some on my team who reasonably point out that the same item could be in several repositories and end up having several separate DOIs associated with it. I'm not sure how much that matters.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this point? We spoke with my predecessor, Adam, who was really helpful. Unconvinced team members have suggested using handle.net which I think is overkill and doesn't necessarily meet the needs of Plan S in itself.

Also, the URL/EPrints ID for each item, is this not a suitable persistent identifier? The wiki linked above does mention this. There's always the possibility a repository URL could change in the future, but I would expect some sort of redirect to overcome this.

If there is a more suitable place for this type of discussion please send me there.

Thanks,
James