[EP-tech] Duplicate repositories between eprints and eprints user group on github.

Almost two years ago there was a lively discussion about ePrints Bazaar [1]; which produced many suggestions.

In a similar vein I'd like to (once again?) raise the issue of duplicate repositories between ePrints User Group on GitHub (eprintsug [2]) and ePrints.org project (eprints [3]).

tl:dr: I propose that any repository which is also in the user group should _only_ live in the user group. This is especially true when the user group has improvements over the original repo.

[1] [EP-tech] please close the Bazaar ; https://www.eprints.org/eptech/msg07916.html
[2] https://github.com/eprintsug
[3] https://github.com/eprints

Longer version:

With one exception the repositories have newer fixes in eprintsug than eprints but the help/issue tracking and other references often point to the old/abandoned version in the main eprints project.

I checked all public repositories the in eprints project has and their status in eprintsug. I've split them in to those which are in both and those only in eprints project.

In both:
https://github.com/eprints/rioxx       - last updated 8 years ago - not in user group, but rioxx2 is (https://github.com/eprintsug/rioxx2)
https://github.com/eprints/youtube_importer       - last updated 8 years ago - in user group as youtube_import; updated last year
https://github.com/eprints/datacite  - last updated 8 years ago - in user group as DataCiteDoi ; updated last year
https://github.com/eprints/reports   - last updated 2 years ago - in user group as reports, updated late last year
https://github.com/eprints/irus          - last update 8 years ago - in user group as irus, updated late 2019
https://github.com/eprints/issues2   - last update 3 years ago - in user group as issues, updated early 2019
https://github.com/eprints/EPrintsArchivematica   - last update 11 months ago - in user group as EPrintsArchivematica, updated 3 months ago. In a twist, eprintsug is the *original* and eprints has the *fork*
https://github.com/eprints/orcid_support                - last update 40 days ago - in user group as orcid_support, updated mid 2020. This repo has been forked - user group had an extra 13 commits before eprints repo added one last month.
https://github.com/eprints/hefce_oa   - last updated 15 months ago - in user group as hefce_oa, updated 21 days ago
https://github.com/eprints/orcid_support_advance  - last update 1 day ago - in user group as orcid_support_advance, updated early 2020. Here eprints is ahead by 4 commits
https://github.com/eprints/irstats2    - last update 4 years ago - in user group as irstats2, updated 1 day ago (eprints irstats2 says it was updated 5 hours ago but I can't figure out what that update might have been).

This list of 11 already shows the problem: out of date forks in both projects, one where the projects have diverged, some with eprints.github.io pages despite active work being done in the user group (irstats2 is an example of that).

So, I suggest the duplication is removed, by removing the copies on the eprints side.

Issues I can think of:
  • Initial work and coordination required for such a thing to happen
  • The target account must not have a repository with the same name, or a fork in the same network [4]
  • Broken links. If a repository is transferred links are updated but transfer may not be possible (see point above) [4 again]. In this instance it might be required to update the description in github + readme to say 'look at the user group' then make repositories read only.
  • If moving things piecemeal issues can be transferred but it looks very laborious [5] and bulk moving isn't supported [6]
are there blockers which others can think of which make this suggestion unworkable?

thanks,

Karl.

PS.
Not in user group (at least not obviously so) but included for context.

https://github.com/eprints/essex_data - last update 8 years ago - not in user group
https://github.com/eprints/ptm - last update 8 years ago - not in user group
https://github.com/eprints/apache_debian - last updated 9 years ago - not in user group
https://github.com/eprints/verify_doi - last updated 8 years ago - not in user group