Re: [EP-tech] Altmetrics

Hi John and Mary,

Based on their being no response for HTTPS and not even being redirected to HTTPS when I clicked in the login button, I assumed that HTTPS is not enabled at all.  The reason it takes a while to timeout I suspect is due to the University of Bolton's firewall dropping packets on port 443 rather than rejecting them, so it takes longer to work out there is not a service on this port.

Mary: I would strongly recommend enabling HTTPS on your repository.  I would have advised this sooner but I thought it best to deal with one issue at a time.

The reason the Altmetric plugin has the get_secure check is, as far as I understand, a really hacky old way to exclude box plugins from appearing in the preview tab.  This it was expected would be delivered over HTTPS as you would have to be logged in to access this.  However, since many repositories have switched to HTTPS everywhere, this check is now unsuitable.  I personally do not see a problem with including box plugins in the preview tab.  I think previously the was a concern that decreased space in the preview tab relative to what there would be for the reallabstract/summary page would mean including box plugins could lead to messy and unrepresentative previews of this page.  However, screen resolutions are much better these days and EPrints is somewhat better at support variable width pages, so this reasoning is somewhat defunct for most repositories.

Regards

David Newman