[EP-tech] indexcodes.txt

All,

I was wondering if the ePrints files named 'indexcodes.txt' in each ePrint document folder should be available outside the system and should be able to be linked directly to for any reason?  Obviously these files contain output that is not necessarily desirable to look at or read, but may be useful for other purposes (?).  For example a google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=indexcodes.txt&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS727US727&oq=indexcodes.txt results in a few (at least) archives hosting these files that I believe are related to the OCR/text versions of the original uploaded file.  I also noted that the oai2 interface oai2?verb=ListRecords shows these files as well in some repositories – not sure if this is also desirable or not.

If the intent is that these indexcodes.txt files should not be available via URL maybe they should be filtered out in the EPrints/Apache/Rewrite.pm file?

If they are to be available what was envisioned for these files?

Thanks,

-Brian.

Brian D. Gregg

Solutions Architect

University of Pittsburgh | University Library System

Address: 7500 Thomas Blvd.  Room 131 Pittsburgh, PA 15208

Tel: (412) 648-3264 | Email: bdgregg@pitt.edu | Fax: (412) 648-3585

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6541-4544