[EP-tech] JSON-LD , schema.org

I have been working a lot with JSON format on a different metadata ingest project, which made me have another look at the JSON export that comes with EPrints.  The default JSON export takes the EPrints XML, and exports all of it out; so we made the default all-metadata-exporting JSON plugin visible to staff only.  The result wasn't structured according to schema.org (https://schema.org/) specification, which would be more useful for indexing by Google and Bing.  So I had a look around, and found the eprintsug repository: https://github.com/eprintsug/json-ld   Great work!

I have created a branch https://github.com/eprintsug/json-ld/tree/json-ld-generalized that is more generalized beyond DataSet document type, and now have this working in our repository (https://spectrum.library.concordia.ca).  We are mapping by default to the broad “CreativeWork” type (https://schema.org/CreativeWork), and the more specific types for thesis (https://schema.org/Thesis), dataset (https://schema.org/Dataset), article (https://schema.org/ScholarlyArticle), book_section (https://schema.org/Chapter), and book (https://schema.org/Book).  I also added a function to generate a JSON-LD @graph for the results for browse screens and search results.

I will be creating a merge request soon to merge this branch into the master branch of the JSON-LD plugin, unless it would make sense to make a fork instead?

Tomasz

Tomasz Neugebauer
Digital Projects & Systems Development Librarian / Bibliothécaire des Projets Numériques & Développement de Systèmes
Library / Bibliothèque
Concordia University / Université Concordia

Tel. / Tél. 514-848-2424 ext. / poste 7738
Email / courriel:
tomasz.neugebauer@concordia.ca

www.concordia.ca/faculty/tomasz-neugebauer.html

Mailing address / adresse postale: 1455 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W., LB-540-03, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8
Street address / adresse municipale: 1400 De Maisonneuve Blvd. W., LB-540-03, Montreal, Quebec H3G 1M8

library.concordia.ca