[EP-tech] Translations and xpages

Hi everyone,

is there a sepcific reason why every language gets to have its own xpage files with hardcoded text instead of having one central file containing phrase references which could then be placed in the respective lang directory?

Example:

Currently we're having
- eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/lang/en/static/help.xpage
- eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/lang/de/static/help.xpage
- eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/lang/anyotherlang/static/help.xpage
that all provide structure and translation for the help page. If we were to redesign the help page, we would have to change all the above files accordingly.

So instead, couldn't we have only one file at eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/static/help.xpage that provides the structure and contains phrase refs (instead of "hard" text) that would be provided from
- eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/lang/en/phrases/help.xml
- eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/lang/de/phrases/help.xml
- eprints3/archives/archivename/cfg/lang/anyotherlang/phrases/help.xml?

This way, structural changes would apply to all languages at once, improving maintainability. The same goes for all plugins providing some sort of static pages.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards
Dennis
--