Will

From: John Salter [J.Salter@leeds.ac.uk] Sent: 02 August 2018 11:32 To: Eprints-tech Subject: Re: [EP-tech] ORCID Support Advance Update

> This naturally poses a problem for storing ORCIDs for external authors, but in my experience most repositories are happy storing ORCIDs for just their own users.

This concerns me. We (repository developers) shouldn't be encouraging a blinkered approach to ORCIDs (or other persistent identifiers).

You wouldn't exclude a DOI for a paper if it wasn't minted by your institution - so why would you choose to discard ORCIDs for non-local members?

If the ORCID has come from a trustworthy upstream system (e.g. CrossRef, PubsRouter), then the ORCID should stay with the author.

Local ORCIDs can supplement this data - so a record harvested from your repository is 'improved'.

I was reading this: https://support.crossref.org/hc/en-us/articles/214567746-Authors-and-editors recently - and wondering what the 'authenticated="true"' attribute actually meant - and how the this assertion should be passed between systems.

If a *trusted* upstream system states that an ORCID is authenticated - can we as a consumer of that data also state that the ORCID is authenticated when relaying data from our system?

The ORCIDs should be seen as an 'additive' set of data - if your system can state that an author now has an ORCID - do it.

Just don't throw away data that already exists for non-local authors.