Re: [EP-tech] A specific eprint doesn't get indexed ,

Hi Avi,

I have noted this issue happening quite a lot as well.  I have tracked it down to an issue indexing PDF documents where the extracted word to be indexed contains non-ascii characters.  If the whole word is non-ascii characters, basically the empty string gets indexed, if there is more than one word that is all non-ascii characters, then it fails with the error you see below, as it cannot index the empty string twice for the same EPrint and field (i.e. documents).  This is because the eprint__rindex table has three fields that make up a primary key, field, word and eprintid. As the middle one is not set that is is why you see documents--91 rather than something like documents-word-91 in your error message.

As far as I can tell, this just effects this one badly encoded word from getting indexed rather than preventing all indexing for the whole EPrint.  I have tested this by writing a script to completely de-index an EPrint and then ran reindex,  I could see the records disappeared from the eprint__rindex table and then reappear again after the reindex.

I am going to see if I can get the encoding issue sorted out, as this is likely to be problematic for people who are indexing publications with non-Latin alphabets.  However, this is never straightforward, based on past experience.

Regards

David Newman