Re: [EP-tech] Shibboleth and local login

Hi Yuri,

My advice would be that wherever on your EPrints page template (archives/ARCHIVENAME/cfg/lang/en/templates/default.xml) you have the link "Login" add another link next to it with the name "Local Login" that has the href "/cgi/users/login". You will note that the "Login" link has the href "/cgi/users/home if you look at this in your web browser. The EPrints code for Shibboleth causes this to redirect to Shibboleth login, if the user is not already logged in. However, if you look for the link in archives/ARCHIVENAME/cfg/lang/en/templates/default.xml you will probanly see <epc:pin ref="login"/>. The only problem manually adding a local login link (e.g. <a href="/cgi/users/login">Local Login</a>) to your page template is that it will appear even when the user is logged in (either locally or using Shibboleth).

One way round this would be to write a local login plugin file that inserts this link as part of <epc:pin ref="login"/>, then when this link appears can be controlled and you can probably incorporate the redirect so you are returned to the page you were on before you tried to login (locally). I can see if I can write this local login plugin file as it would be useful to add to the Shibboleth instructions. However, it is not something I will necessarily be able to get done today or maybe even tomorrow.

That all said, if a user is on an EPrint abstract page and you cllick on the "View Item" link and you are not logged in your will be taken to Shibboleth login. That is why I said before that local users would need to know they need to login first before they start clicking on links like that.

Regards

David Newman