[EP-tech] Issue in EPrints RDF URIs

One other thing is a fundamental cock-up I made when I designed the URI schemes for linked data in EPrints. It uses a single URI to indicate both the catalogue record and the subject of the catalogue record. (see the recent post about RSS feeds "published" time). Really EPrints records talk about two objects; the catalogue record and the subject of the catalogue record, and these should have distinct URIs. My instinct would be to use a new URI for the catalogue records as most of the data is about the subject, eg. http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/id/eprint/50995#catalogue

In actual fact, the RDF doesn't, by default, mention any properties of the catalogue record, such as the deposit time, or depositing user etc., so this is quite easy to fix sometime in the future.

If I were implementing things today, I'd use https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/ but that didn't exist in as complete a form back then (also it is slightly badly designed in that it talks about "datasets" and it's  touch-and-go if EPrints records are datasets... I really wish this was just a catalogue vocabulary.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service: http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read our Web & Data Innovation blog: http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/