Re: [EP-tech] Problem with searching for names starting with Ö

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Liam Green-Hughes
<L.E.Green-Hughes@kent.ac.uk> wrote:
> For example (btw names have been changed!) if an author exists on the system
> with the surname "Öl", results will not be returned if I search by "Ol" but
> they will be if I enter "Öl" or, more suprisingly, "Oel" (thanks to the
> substitution made).

That's not surprising at all, since Oe is the digraph form of Ö.
I (and most german speaking people) would find it surprising/confusing
if I had to enter "Ol" instead of "Oel" to find "Öl".

* [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96

P.S.: I do not use a german keyboard and have to constantly replace our
umlaut characters with Ae, Oe and Ue and the sharp-S &szlig; with ss.
Nobody complains, but I would get really angry replies if I just wrote
A, O, and U ;)

regards, Gerhard Gonter