Re: [EP-tech] 2.3.13 -> 3.3.14

Not sure about the missing file thing at the moment, but you could surmount the XML faffing by adding the replacedby field to the eprint fields for the duration of the import, then remove it again once everything was happy?

-----Original Message-----
From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Mark Muldoon
Sent: 10 October 2017 15:42
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] 2.3.13 -> 3.3.14

Dear EP-techers,

I’m upgrading an ancient server to the current version of the software. Following advice I found on this list, I’ve been using  the following strategy

> Do the export of the 2.x version including archive, user, subjects and subscriptions (if possible - there was a patch back in the day for this I believe - may or not be worth it now) in ep3xml format. Copy the documents/disk0 folder over to the new system (use the same folder location or you'll have to munge your XML as the 'eprints' import actually looks for the file to exist in the location indicated in the XML) and import into the 3.x version of EPrints. Don't kill off your old server until you are done as this is a rinse and repeat process until you get everything perfect on your new 3.x server.

This has worked to some extent, though I did, in the end, have to faff with the XML to get the rid of a field, <replacedby>, that no longer exists and to make the paths point to the correct locations on the new server. Unfortunately, the actual files, though present, don’t seem to be entirely visible to the server. For example, although I have a PDF whose full path is

/usr/share/eprints3/archives/mims3/documents/disk0/00/00/00/01/01/03PA0357.pdf

and an associated eprint that has, in its revisions document 1.xml, a <file> with child node

<url>http://eprints.maths.manchester.ac.uk/1/1/03PA0357.pdf</url>

the corresponding abstract page lists the PDF as being 0 Mb in size and, when I try to retrieve it I get

Error in file retrieval: failed to get file contents

It feels as though I’m within inches of having the import working fully and don’t really want to have to study the code to figure out how to fix the issue described above. I’d be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mark

-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302). The Open University is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in relation to its secondary activity of credit broking.