[EP-tech] UX/UI Refresh - good practice advice sought

Hey all!

As a summer project we’re updating the CSS/HTML front end on our eprints front end (I know, I love pain).

Last time round (2+ years ago) I just hacked the relevant CSS into template/default.xml and static/index.html – but now we have 2 repositories (both 3.3.15) on different servers and I’d really like to:

Update to at least bootstrap – so that it looks OK on mobile devoices / not horrible at different resolutions etc &c
Make everything a little more clean and modular
Not have to do it lots of times (preferably!)

I do have some corporate CSS to include so can’t completely freeform . . . .

All advice appreciated