Re: [EP-tech] Easier way to do this in a citation?

Hi John,

That helps a huge amount, thanks you so much!  This gives me a great base on which to maybe add some functionality of our own and the citation reworking using the choose/when does make it a bit clearer until I do (hopefully) get something written.  So many thanks for a very helpful response!

Andy

From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of John Salter
Sent: 03 March 2017 15:58
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [EP-tech] Easier way to do this in a citation?

Hi Andrew,

I don't think there is a easy way to do what you require in the existing epscript functions (but there is a way to add it - more on that below!).

You could alter your existing code to make the tests clearer:

<choose>

  <when test="event_title and event_location and event_dates">

</when>

<when test="event_title and event_location">

   <print expr="event_title" />, <print expr="event_location"/>.

</when>

<when test="event_title ">

   <print expr="event_title" />.

</when>

</choose>

But this does feel a bit noisy too.

To add (inject) a custom method to EPrints::Script::Compiled, see the example here: https://wiki.eprints.org/w/ORCID#Rendering_the_ORCID_in_a_citation

This keeps the added code in the repository config - and should work over upgrades (unless there's a major rewrite of EPrints::Script).

In my opinion, any files in <eprints_root>/archives/<archiveid>/cfg/cfg.d/ should be checked as part of an upgrade.

For a similar example, in White Rose Research Online, we wanted to render event dates in a more 'friendly' human way.

They are stored in the database as 'yyyy-mm-dd - yyyy-mm-dd' (or just yyyy-mm-dd if it was a one-day event), and we wanted e.g. '1-3 Mar 2017' '28 Feb - 1 Mar 2017' or '31 Dec 2016 - 2 Jan 2017'.

This https://gist.github.com/jesusbagpuss/491086533294f864de63115c66719def adds a method to EPrints::Script::Compiled that does this conversion. The citation uses:

Hope that helps!