[EP-tech] Antwort: Re: Problems with the Coversheets plugin

Hi,

Peter West and we had just finished a project in which we redesigned the
functionality of the Coversheets plugin. Main features:

- Administration of the Coversheet templates is now in Admin > System Tools
> Manage Coversheets
- The coversheet process is triggered either when the document is moved
from review to archive, or upon the first download. We hope that with this,
the load on the server is reduced a lot. The indexer is not engaged
anymore.
- There is a button "Apply Coversheet" in Admin > System Tools that allows
to trigger the coversheet process manually.
- The coversheeted document is a volatile document - the original document
remains untouched (be prepared to have doubled diskspace for your
documents).
- There is also a script that allows to apply coversheets in batch.
- Instead of OpenOffice, we use LaTeX. We decided to do so because of
several reasons:
   . Especially in the Faculty of Science, we have many documents from high
energy physics and mathematics with mathematical typesetting both in the
titles and the abstract. These are rendered now correctly and also can be
indexed by search engines.
   . Links can be rendered so that they are clickable
   . Images such as license batches from Creative Commons can be included
dynamically and added with a clickable link

Example: http://www.zora.uzh.ch/121139/

Best regards,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Br?ndle
Zentrale Informatik

mail: martin.braendle at id.uzh.ch
phone: +41 44 63 56705
fax: +41 44 63 54505
http://www.zi.uzh.ch

Von:	John Salter <J.Salter at leeds.ac.uk>
An:	"eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk" <eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Datum:	11/05/2016 14:11
Betreff:	Re: [EP-tech] Problems with the Coversheets plugin
Gesendet von:	eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk

Hi Annette,
I think ?Admin > Manage Records > Coversheets ? might be slightly
misleading.
For us, as an admin user, in the EPrints toolbar (with the ?Logged in as
xxx user? message in it), there?s a link to ?Manage records?. Can you see
this?
If you can, the ?Coversheets? option should be in there.

You can create quite complex coversheets (the coversheet document itself),
and complex rules to govern what they apply to.
The coversheets have a priority ? so you can have e.g.
      1.       a transport studies working paper gets coversheet A
      2.       other working papers get coversheet B
      3.       other transport studies items get coversheet C
      4.       other items get coversheet D

For White Rose, we have different coversheets depending on which of the
three institutions an item has been created by ? using the institutional
logo as well as the White Rose one.

When someone downloads an item that *could* be coversheeted, the plugin
creates a coversheet event (make sure your indexer is running), and a
coversheeted version of the document is created when that event is run.
Once the coversheeted document has been created, subsequent downloads will
present that version.

One word of warning: PDF readers in browsers can be quite good at caching
PDFs (it can be tricky to reload a PDF once you get it!). As the coversheet
plugin returns different content for the same URL (depending on the
coversheeted version being available), you may need to trick the
browswer/PDF viewer into reloading it. I?ve found appending a query-string
to the filename to be the easiest:
Document URL: http://your.repo/123/1/document.pdf
To reload: http://your.repo/123/1/document.pdf?a
If you need to reload again, change ?a to ?b; ?c?

Hope that makes some sense ? I can provide some screenshots if that would
be useful.