[EP-tech] Antwort: Upgrade processes for EPrints

Dear Lizz,

in fact, "Release Management" this is a tricky thing on EPrints. First of
all i have to tell, that we have a Develop- und Test-Environment. So we
usually do upgrades and customization (got a lot of them!) on that
Test-Environment before, and SVN it all to Production later.

We thought about it last summer and here is a short summary:

-  1st think about: Do i really need an update ;-) Bugfixes, features,...
- Use Unix-Diff to build a delta1 between two different (original)
EPrint-Versions
- Use Unix-Diff to build a delta2 between the old EPrint-Version (original)
and your Customized-Version
- Upgrade Sourcecode as described and add costomized code passages:
	- new files in Delta1 are new Features, Bugfixes etc... let them as
they are
	- the difference between delta2-delta1 is the real work: All custom
work has to be analysed weather it's already bugfixed with the new version,
or is almost needed cause of local customization. This is a work, a human
programmer has to do! This is the most timewaisting thing - so it's better
to do it on a test system.
- Do all the DB-Updates steps with dbadmin as described.
- Test everything.
- Do a Test2Prod copy followed by a DB-Update (--> this is downtime on your
Prod-System!)
- Cross fingers that everything works ;-)

Hope, this is what you're looking for.
Cheers
 Jens
--