[EP-tech] Antwort: Upgrade processes for EPrints

Dear Lizz,

in fact, "Release Management" this is a tricky thing on EPrints. First of all i have to tell, that we have a Develop- und Test-Environment. So we usually do upgrades and customization (got a lot of them!) on that Test-Environment before, and SVN it all to Production later.

We thought about it last summer and here is a short summary:

-  1st think about: Do i really need an update ;-) Bugfixes, features,...
- Use Unix-Diff to build a delta1 between two different (original) EPrint-Versions
- Use Unix-Diff to build a delta2 between the old EPrint-Version (original) and your Customized-Version
- Upgrade Sourcecode as described and add costomized code passages:
- new files in Delta1 are new Features, Bugfixes etc... let them as they are
- the difference between delta2-delta1 is the real work: All custom work has to be analysed weather it's already bugfixed with the new version, or is almost needed cause of local customization. This is a work, a human programmer has to do! This is the most timewaisting thing - so it's better to do it on a test system.
- Do all the DB-Updates steps with dbadmin as described.
- Test everything.
- Do a Test2Prod copy followed by a DB-Update (--> this is downtime on your Prod-System!)
- Cross fingers that everything works ;-)

Hope, this is what you're looking for.
Cheers
 Jens
--
Jens Vieler
Informatikdienste

mail:  jens.vieler@id.uzh.ch
phone: +41 44 63 56777
http://www.id.uzh.ch

Inactive hide details for Lizz Jennings ---01.02.2016 17:54:18---Hi all, I'm planning an upgrade to live EPrints, which will liLizz Jennings ---01.02.2016 17:54:18---Hi all, I'm planning an upgrade to live EPrints, which will likely involve some downtime as it's the