[EP-tech] Re: Upgrade processes for EPrints

Lizz Jennings dijo [Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 04:49:06PM +0000]:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning an upgrade to live EPrints, which will likely involve
> some downtime as it's the first time I've done an upgrade on the
> live system.  It's not going to be a big leap in itself (3.3.13 ->
> 15), but I've made a lot of customisations so it's a little
> nervewracking.

Hi Lizz,

One of the most important points for me in choosing (and sticking
with) EPrints over DSpace is that, unless your site is *heavily*
modded, there is basically no downtime when doing minor updates. My
workflow has shifted from something closer to what you describe, into
something more reactive (of course, starting off by having *good and
proven* daily backups).

Downtime is minimal partly because so much of EPrints' content
consists of pre-rendered static pages, partly because the changes are
kept very small and incremental. The most intensive task we always
face when upgrading is, believe it or not, finding new missing strings
in our Spanish translation. So far, I have only seen one hiccup,
several releases ago.