From: eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces at ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of George Mamalakis
Sent: 03 June 2015 11:18
To: eprints-tech at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] epdata_to_dataobj correct syntax

Hi everybody,

I am trying to understand how the EPrints' DSpace.pm import plugin exactly works and from what I've read from the API and the plugin's code, I got confused as to how epdata_to_dataobj() function should be called. To be honest, the same question holds for the import-plugin-example as well (http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Contribute:_Plugins/ImportPluginsCSV#input_fh).

Running:

$ perldoc ~eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/Plugin/Import.pm

mentions about epdata_to_dataobj that:

"
$dataobj = $plugin->epdata_to_dataobj( $epdata, %opts )
        Turn $epdata into a EPrints::DataObj using the dataset argument passed
        in %opts.

        Uses the "handler" object to perform the actual object creation.

        When sub-classing you must call "epdata_to_dataobj" in order to
        correctly handle the parse-only and test phases during import.
"

And this is indeed how the function is coded in ~eprints/perl_lib/EPrints/Plugin/Import.pm. On the other hand, the online example as well as the DSpace plugin call the same function like this:

my $dataobj = $self->epdata_to_dataobj( $opts{dataset}, $epdata );

Which, to my understanding, should be the other way around as far as the parameter order is concerned, meaning:

my $dataobj = $self->epdata_to_dataobj($epdata, $opts{dataset});

The truth is that my perl is very rusty, but from a first glance I think that the call to epdata_to_dataobj() function is in both codes (plugin example and DSpace plugin) wrong.

Is it so, or am I losing something very fundamental here?

Thanks for your time,

George.

--

George Mamalakis