[EP-tech] Re: Automatic Fields training video

Hi Adam,

Given recent developments (the divisions-and-subject bug), soon I'll
need to upgrade my repository (or just patch it, but I prefer
upgrading). The current EPrints documentation
(http://wiki.eprints.org/w/Upgrading_EPrints_3_versions) is clearly not
adequate for an upgrade to anyone having customised even the slightest
bit of EPrints. What I would do in order to upgrade would be to backup
my ~eprints directory, upgrade my EPrints package using debian's
apt-get, upgrade my EPrints installation using ~eprints/bin/epadmin
upgrade (hoping that this would not change anything in live my
repository, but I'm relatively optimistic that it won't), create a new
repository with the latest version, and follow my extensive guidelines
from my redmine issues to bring the new repository to the same state as
my previous one.

This method may work for me, but I don't think that this is what an
EPrints newcomer would expect to do when upgrading their's. So -and
based on my current experience with EPrints- I think that two -or more
videos- (or any other means of documentation) need to be available for
EPrints maintenance:

- a few videos explaining how to *CORRECTLY* customise an EPrints
repository, by adding new configuration files or whatever is needed to
be changed, without touching anything that an upgrade would break (like
custom workflows, custom plugins, branding (xhtml pages and css), custom
fields, custom searches, and practically *EVERYTHING* that usually
people wish to change -and are afraid doing- after installing EPrints).
What I've understood so far from my small experience with EPrints, and
please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the "cleanest" way of
customising anything in EPrints would be to not change any vanilla
files, create new files that "override" EPrints' default "behaviour" and
finally (maybe optionally, but not sure) create a bazaar package (for
portability/installation-independence/decoupling/maintenance). I am not
sure, though (architecturally speaking), if every customisation can be
achieved without tainting the initial installation, and If so, the
package step is then mandatory.

- a smaller video showing how to upgrade EPrints from one version to
another, that also shows how customisations haven't been affected, or
how they have been addressed using the previously generated packages.

I know that you've made two great videos regarding bazaar packages (I've
only watched one of them, and will watch the second after I finish my
customisations and start creating packages for each feature I had to
add), but I'm sure that novices (like me) would like to know many more
details wrt to packages in regard to each type of EPrints customisation
(branding, workflows, custom fields/searches, etc).

Unfortunately, current EPrints documentation is very distributed,
sometimes deprecated and worst of all: *not upgrade friendly at all*. If
I follow the steps I've read in EPrints documentation for my
customisations, there would be no way my repository would function after
following the documentation's upgrade procedure. And clean upgrade
procedures is a *MUST* in any software product.

Thanks again Adam, and all of you, for all the help, and once I finish
with my repo I'll update EPrints wiki (since I'm more of a reading type
rather than a watching one :)) with all my notes, because at the moment,
a newcomer would not be able to do things "right" just by following it
and not asking this list.

George Mamalakis

IT and Security Officer,
PhD (Aristotle Univ. of Thessaloniki),