[EP-tech] Re: Institutional level: several repositories vs. one

Bjoern Hassler dijo [Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 02:55:24PM +0100]:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a newbie question, apologies if it's obvious.
>
> Is anybody in this situation: Several eprints instances within an
> institutiton (e.g. at departmental level), with an overall institutional
> level repository (populated entirely through OAI Harvester or otherwise)?
>
> Is this essentially supported out of the box by installing an
> institution-level eprints instance, and letting it harvest the departmental
> level instances?
> (...)

Hi Bjoern,

In my University, not only we have different sets of data, but also
different policies and focus of interest between the different
departments. Besides, our university is really large (~350,000
students, ~35,000 academics), so having a single repository was seen
as fundamentally impossible.

We have a network of independent repositories, not even running with
the same software (2 EPrints, the rest use DSpace). We are, yes, quite
far from covering the whole university, but our 10 active nodes (with
several other in prospective status) cover schools, research
institutes, administrative units and museums.

Most of our information is in Spanish only, but I have this
presentation I gave at OR2013 in English:

    http://or2013.net/sessions/rad-unam-genesis-and-evolution-repository-administrators-group

I hope our experience is useful to you!