[EP-tech] epc:if tests for the existence of values in a compound field

I'm writing a citation schema, and when it comes to compound fields, I
don't want to have a table with just the column headings.

I tried

       <epc:if test="creator"><epc:print expr="creator" /></epc:if>
       <epc:if test="!(creator)"><epc:phrase ref="eprint_field_nodata"
/></epc:if>

... but this doesn't seem to work

(and yes, I've restarted the server..... but that shouldn't make a
difference for a generate-static)

I'm getting no errors from the xml file, and if I add in a sneaky <hr />
them that appears in the re-built page.

How do I avoid rendering these empty tables?

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.