[EP-tech] Re: Bazaar-Plugins vs. New EPrint Versions

On 09/03/15 08:48, Denis Pitzalis wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe even easier would be to add a min_version and a max_version
variables in the plugin definition. Like in PHP CMS. So we can define:
$self->{min_version} = “>= 3.3.10”;
$self->{max_version} = “< 3.3.12”;

so we are sure that we always install the good version of a plugin.

We could even go further and add a dependencies like:
$self->{dependency} = “icon-builder>1.1.4”;

etc

What do you think?

The downside to this approach is that plugins should remain compatible with all releases of EPrints (and certainly within a Version: 3.1; 3.2; 3.3;...) The changes that kill plugins are changes to API calls... and those shouldn't change within a version (so all function/api calls in 3.3.1 should still work in 3.3.14 - though there may be additional functionality available within those calls, or via new calls)

I'd be happy with

$self->{min_version} = “>= 3.2”;
$self->{max_version} = “< 3.4”;

Anything else, and all Bazaar plugins automatically go "out of scope" on every new release, until they are tested against an install of that new release.

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.