[EP-tech] Installing plugin from github?

Another newbie question, can anyone provide an idiots guide to installing from github??

I tried to install https://github.com/eprintsug/datesdatesdates via Upload and Install at the bottom of the bazaar page - tried the .epmi and full zip but just get a 500 Internal Server error so I'm guessing that's not the way to do it

I don't have access to the server but "learning" together with a colleague from our infrastructure team.

Thanks

Nick