[EP-tech] Re: Restricting export of field based on value of another field

Hi John

	How about creating a new field to store abstracts, called (e.g. restricted_abstract) and use that in the workflow instead of the default abstract field?  You can then use eprint_fields_automatic to copy the value into the default abstract field when it's allowed to be open.  You'd have to check that none of the 'dump this record' exporter (e.g. XML, Multiline CSV) export it (or are not available publicly).  I believe there is flag that is set on the metadata field to tell it not to be part of the XML export, which you'd need to set.

	Alternatively, there's the 'virtual' flag on a metadata field that means it doesn't get stored in the database at all, but you can define functions around it.  If you redefined the abstract field as virtual, you may be able to control its behaviour effectively with function.  I've only every used these for rendering things (see https://github.com/gobfrey/tweepository/blob/master/cfg/cfg.d/z_tweepository_libs.pl lines 313 to 316).

--
Adam Field
Business Relationship and Community Manager