[EP-tech] Advanced Search, field length limit

Dear all,

we have cases where users want to enter very long lists of names in the creators or creators/editors field in Avanced Search, using an "any" search.
However, the query is limited or cut at 256 characters, caused by the maxlength="256" attribute of the input element.

I have deactivated this limit on our development system in perl_lib/EPrints/Metafield.pm in method "render_search_input" by commenting line 2201, being aware that this affects all text input fields.
We have tested various query variants and not seen any problem so far.

Before we go live with this change: Is there any reason why this limit was introduced originally? Any good technical objections to not deactivate it?

Best regards,

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Brändle