[EP-tech] Re: Migrating EPrints

I wouldn't go the export/import route - in such instances I trust more
my own awareness and reasoning than generic tools constructed by other
people (who cannot anticipate everything you've done locally).

Instead, copy your database to replace the one created by a fresh
installation. Also copy the document files, archive configuration and
./perl_lib/EPrints/SystemSettings.pm to the new system (regarding the
last, compare it with the one created by fresh install and tweak as
needed). Run epadmin upgrade on this mix if you're switching to a newer
EPrints version to try bringing the database structure up-to-date. See
what the result is, note any problems encountered (e.g. to better guide
your next attempt - expect a few ones and backup things accordingly).
Document all steps as you go, so as to make them repeatable for yourself.

If the result of the attempted migration looks mostly functional, then
migrate all patches to non-configuration source files individually. This
will be the most time-consuming task if you previously hacked without
concern.

If you want to be more systematic, start off by comparing your present
old installation against the baseline version that you used for it -
make an inventory of everything that you have modified, as you're going
to have to reapply it in one way or another. If you used version control
to document each change (as you should have), it is going to be easier.
Otherwise, diff is your friend.

Note that relevant changes can be in the file system (possibly even in
non-EPrints modules if you were very creative), database schema or
database contents. But since you're going to replace/overwrite the
database, you probably don't need to worry that much about the latter
two. Still, for the sake of understanding, you can mysqldump the schema
without data and compare it against the baseline db schema mysqldump to
check for differences.