[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[EP-tech] Re: UTF-8 issues on BibTeX import?

Reading strings?

Have you tried

   $count = utf8::upgrade($name)

see http://perldoc.perl.org/utf8.html

(I tried all sorts of things over the years... and I don't think I've 
been consistent)

On 10/03/14 15:31, Andrew Beeken wrote:
> Interesting!
> Looking into this a bit further, the issue seems to be around the keys
> that records take with them out of, say, a Scopus export. For example, a
> record may be given a key of P?ron20141; note the accent - this is the
> part that?s causing the issue and is probably understandable if the key is
> conforming to specific standards. With this in mind, is there a workaround?
> On 10/03/2014 11:24, "Ian Stuart" <Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/03/14 11:02, Andrew Beeken wrote:
>>> Me again!
>>> Another issue that has been flagged up by our admin users is that a
>>> BibTeX import will fall over when it encounters accented characters
>>> in an author name. I?ve already flagged a problem with UTF-8 encoding
>>> in output in another email and I?m wondering if there is a similar
>>> fix here?
>> Something to consider (I fell over this) is that web servers have a
>> tendency to not actually sent UTF-8, even when you ask them to....
>> I have a script that wouldn't render the name of some Dutch university
>> correctly..... but when I added in the name of a chinese one, it was fine.
>> It was a blinkin' NIGHTMARE to figure out.... and in the end I bypassed
>> the EPrints output, and just "printed" directly, with the line
>>     binmode(STDOUT, ":utf8");
>> in my code.


Ian Stuart.
Developer: ORI, RJ-Broker, and OpenDepot.org
Bibliographics and Multimedia Service Delivery team,
The University of Edinburgh.


This email was sent via the University of Edinburgh.

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.