[EP-tech] Restricting export of field based on value of another field

Hi,
We have a requirement to (sometimes) embargo the abstract for some etheses.

We have a boolean field that allows a student to:
 - always show the abstract
 - embargo the abstract when files are embargoed

Changing the display of this information on the summary page is easy enough (change eprint_render.pl), but quite a few of the Export plugins reference the abstract field directly.

I could create copies of all the Export plugins that reference the abstract field, but this seems inefficient.

Is there a simple way of unsetting a field of a dataobject each time the dataobject is used, but without actually writing that change to the database?