[EP-tech] Re: EPrints 3.3.12 Installation (from source)

I would start troubleshooting this by looking at Firebug's network panel
and comparing the exchanged request/response sequences during login to a
working configuration, paying particular attention to Host and
Set-Cookie / Cookie headers. My guess is that due to some Apache
misconfiguration (maybe a mismatch in hostname actually used by Apache
and the one EPrints thinks it should use) cookies are not being
exchanged correctly, so that you end up in some "half-logged in" state.

Other than that, you can insert "use Data::Dumper; print STDERR
Carp::longmess(Dumper($variable));" anywhere in the code to output a
stack trace and $variable's content to Apache's log, and trace undefined
values back to where they should be set.