[EP-tech] Re: Simple search - length of query

Hi John,

Check this: https://github.com/eprints/eprints/issues/120

Without Xapian, the simple search will run SELECT's for each input word for each "selected field in the simple search" so yep queries will get long quickly. I've seen this to cause a repository to halt with any other queries being locked until the max no of connections is reached in mysql.

Xapian searches in a totally different manner and scales up > http://vmdev1.eprints.org/cgi/xapian?q=characteristics+of+organic+matter+and+carbonate+in+saltmarsh+sediments+from+south+west+Scotland

Hope this helps,
Seb.