[EP-tech] Re: Upgrading eprints version to 3.3.12

Hi,

I have upgraded from 3.0.5 to 3.3.12 recently. My procedure was to
install the new version over (!) the old installation (e.g. use the
existing target directory), which was first copied to the new target
machine, then run epadmin upgrade. But I supppose it doesn't really
matter - you could also set up a new clean installation and overwrite
the empty database with your old one, then epadmin upgrade.

Because our repository was large (80,000 records), I also ran

    truncate subject__index_grep;
    truncate subject__rindex;
    truncate eprint__rindex;

beforehand and later

epadmin reindex <repo> subject
epadmin reindex <repo> eprint

The epadmin upgrade step took about 1 hour, while the reindexing took
more than 6 hours.

Because our repository had multiple patches against the 3.0.5 source
base, all of them had to be ported and tested beforehand. Some of the
"views" definitions had to be upgraded as well.

Furthermore, because our repository also contained custom tables not
managed by EPrints, data migration (regarding character set) had to be
performed manually for those tables, as EPrints only took care of its
own (as it should).

Overall, it went smoother than expected although some minor late bugs
were only discovered after the upgrade and had to be fixed in
production. Even so, you should do it on a separate machine, write down
a migration plan for later, and keep your production system running
until you have made sure the new version is working completely (in our
case, the offline QA took several days - the point is you want to do it
before, not after the migration).

Regards,
Jan Ploski