[EP-tech] EPrints, htaccess and rewrite_exceptions

Anyone out there in Eprints land using .htaccess to control/redirect things outside of EPrints, but on the same server?

e.g. we've got some documentation that's under a repository.ac.uk/docs/ directory.
Access to this is managed in the Apache vhost using an Alias and <Directory...> block.
EPrints ignores it because it's in ~/archives/ARCHIVEID/cfg/cfg.d/20_baseurls.pl:
 $c->{rewrite_exceptions} = [ '/docs/' ...];

If any of this means anything to you, let me know - I may have something that you might want to check...
I know in the past some people have mentioned running e.g. PHP under the same Apache instance - this may be applicable to you too.