EPrints stores the IP address of a download request (in the 'access' dataset), IRStats2 processes it in order to find out its geo-location (the country). Aggregates of country data is rendered on the GeoMap.

^^ that's the only scenario where something is done with the IP address within IRStats2. Other metrics don't require that piece of information.

Seb.

On 24/06/13 12:56, clyde.cerejo@id.uzh.ch wrote:
Hi Seb

Thanks for your reply.

For us it is important that all data being sent outside our system -  the generated statistics and graphs as well as data being transferred in the background, is always aggregated data only without the possibility of identifying individual users. Is this guaranteed?

Regards
Clyde

Von:        Sebastien Francois <sf2@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
An:        eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk,
Datum:        24.06.2013 13:03
Betreff:        [EP-tech] Re: IRStats 2 and data security
Gesendet von:        eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk

Hi Clyde,

The following Google Charts are used by IRStats2:

- Area Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/areachart
- Column Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/columnchart
- Combo Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/combochart
- Pie Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/piechart

These 4 have the same data policy (look at the bottom of each of the pages above):

Data Policy
All code and data are processed and rendered in the browser. No data is sent to any server.

- Geo Charts:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/chart/interactive/docs/gallery/geochart

That one seems a bit more tricky:
https://google-developers.appspot.com/maps/terms

Note that the Geo map can easily be replaced by a simple table which is rendered outside Google Charts. Anyway there's a known issue with EPrints 3.2 and EPrints 3.3 up to 3.3.9 which prevents the Geo Map to load successfully (clash with Prototype v1.7- fixed in 1.7.1).

The way the code generally works is this way:

- browser loads JS library from Google's servers:
http://www.google.com/jsapi
- local JS code instantiates a Chart and feeds it data
- Chart renders data locally.

For info, tables and other bits of IRStats2 (exporters etc) are rendered outside Google Charts.

I hope this will help you.

Kind regards,
Seb.

On 24/06/13 11:43,