[EP-tech] Re: x-forwarded ip in access table

On 04/07/13 08:16, Matthew Brady wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have just moved our server and needed to modify the apache .conf
> files to use X-Forwarded-For, so we get the correct IP?s into the access
> and error logs.  This is all working correctly.
>
> The collection of ip?s in the access table was not handling the
> x-forward header info.
>
> Fixed it by editing this file, perl_lib/EPrints/Apache/LogHandler.pm,
> and adding extra code to pick up the header info and fall back to
> regular ip if not defined.

We did a slight variation here at EDINA, when we started using a proxy
server (and note that Load Balancers can set a different header field)
We took "remote_addr' unless remote_addr was in a defined list of IPs,
when we referred to the X-Forwarded-For, and took the first element (if
there's a sequence of proxies, X-Forwarded-For is a list)

--

Ian Stuart.
EDINA,

http://edina.ac.uk/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.