[EP-tech] Problem updaing Ubuntu server

Hi,

We host eprints on an Ubuntu server (Release 12.04 (Precise) 32-bit.  Kernel Linux 3.2.0-33-generic-pae.  GNOME 3.4.1.)

Update Manager informs me that 80 updates are ready for installation.  But a warning also pops up saying:

"Not all updates can be installed.  Run a partial upgrade, to install as many updates as possible.
"This can be caused by:
"A previous upgrade which did not complete
"Problems with some of the installed software
"Unoffical software packages not provided by Ubuntu
"Normal changes of a pre-release version of Ubuntu"

The warning pop up gives the option of a "Partial upgrade".  But if I choose this option eventually the system presents me with the message:

"Error authenticating some packages:
"It was not possible to authenticate some packages.  This may be a transient network problem.  You may want to "try again later.  See below for a list of unauthenticated packages."

I got the same messages last Friday.

I have not encountered this problem before when applying updates.  Any suggestion as to how I may resolve this problem would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Alexander J Birchall, Library Systems Manager, The Sheppard Library, Middlesex University, London NW4 4BT

Tel +44 (0) 208 411 5235
Mobile:  07765 237 570

Please note that Middlesex University's preferred way of receiving all correspondence is via email in line with our Environmental Policy. All incoming post to Middlesex University is opened and scanned by our digital document handler, CDS, and then emailed to the recipient.

If you do not want your correspondence to Middlesex University processed in this way please email the recipient directly. Parcels, couriered items and recorded delivery items will not be opened or scanned by CDS.  There are items which are "exceptions" which will be opened by CDS but will not be scanned a full list of these can be obtained by contacting the University.