From: Jan Ploski [mailto:jpl@plosquare.com]
Sent: 18 October 2012 16:53
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: Is eprints multitenant?

Of course, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve, but I would
say the ability to store data of multiple organizations is not enough to
call a system multitenant.

The term as I know it from commercial IS refers to the ability to
separately administer and audit an organization's users through
independent organization-specific admin accounts who may only grant
(restricted) permissions to those users belonging to their respective
organization. Apart from that usually some shared data exists that is
used by all tenants (rather than each tenant's system being completely
separated from the others, which is a typical workaround suggesting that
a system is NOT multitenant).

So I'd say that out-of-the-box EPrints with its central "users" table
and a single "admin" account, just like most open source content
management systems, does NOT qualify as multitenant, from the viewpoint
of corporate IT - but always ask them what they mean exactly. It could
conceivably be made multitenant in the above described sense through
(potentially heavy) customization. Developers may correct me if I'm wrong.