[EP-tech] Re: Is eprints multitenant?

Of course, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve, but I would say the ability to store data of multiple organizations is not enough to call a system multitenant.

The term as I know it from commercial IS refers to the ability to separately administer and audit an organization's users through independent organization-specific admin accounts who may only grant (restricted) permissions to those users belonging to their respective organization. Apart from that usually some shared data exists that is used by all tenants (rather than each tenant's system being completely separated from the others, which is a typical workaround suggesting that a system is NOT multitenant).

So I'd say that out-of-the-box EPrints with its central "users" table and a single "admin" account, just like most open source content management systems, does NOT qualify as multitenant, from the viewpoint of corporate IT - but always ask them what they mean exactly. It could conceivably be made multitenant in the above described sense through (potentially heavy) customization. Developers may correct me if I'm wrong.

David Kane wrote:
Yes.

White Rose Consortium is one example.
http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/