[EP-tech] Re: upgrade to 3.3.x from 3.2.8

Hi,

See a few comments below:

On 02/10/12 10:22, Ranju Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since nobody replied, I am replying to my own question!
>
> My plan to upgrade is like this:
>
> As root:
>
> 1. Download tar file
>
> 2. unpack tar file to /home/mydir
>
> 3. cd /home/mydir/eprints-3.3.x
>
> 4.  ./configure --prefix /var/lib/eprints3 (this is where our current
> eprints is)
>
>  5.  ./install.pl
>
> 6.  (as eprints) cd /var/lib/eprints3
>
>  7. epadmin upgrade ourarchive

Beware that this may take long. During that time the repo will not be in
a usable state.

> 8.  restart Apache
>
> This will probably upgrade our repo.But I would still like to know a
> few things:
>
> * which is the stable one in 3.3.x and can I go directly from 3.2.8 to
> 3.3.x
The latest stable version is 3.3.10 and yes you can go from 3.2 to 3.3

> *What happens to the old configuration/code files , are they overwritten?
The .pm files in perl_lib are backed up (the install.pl step will tell
you). The local configuration (archives/ourarchive/cfg/*) isn't usually
modified, and actually you'll need to do this by hand (i.e. you could
missing some new features/conf).

I usually do after the upgrade:

cd <your eprints install path>
diff -rq lib/defaultcfg/ archives/ourarchive/cfg

this will tell you of missing files (that you can copy over) and changes
(that you may need to merge, I use vimdiff to check this).

If some conf files contain new fields/datasets, you may need to run
bin/epadmin update ourarchive so that EPrints adds the new DB
tables/columns.

You should also diff your old template with the new one (some things
have changed in 3.3, esp. the <head> section).

If you wrote custom plugins, those may break in 3.3.

Last but not least, you may need to disable people logging in during the
upgrade process. Look at cfg.d/user_login.pl to disable that option.

Good luck,
Seb.