[EP-tech] Re: Request a copy for large documents

On Thu, 2012-05-31 at 13:01 +1000, Mark Gregson wrote:
> Hi all
>

> We recently found that the request a copy feature is being used to
> request documents which are large than the limit that has been set on
> our mail server.  The result is an error returned to the repository’s
> admin email address.  We can’t get the limit raised/removed so we need
> to look for an alternate solution.
>

> I can see a few solutions:
>
> 1.       Prevent ‘Request a copy’ showing for larger documents.
>
> 2.       Send an email to the requesting user with a link to a secret
> URL to provide time-limited access to the resource.
>
> 3.       Use an alternate mail server (not feasible).
>

> Someone has thought about option 2 because I found this wiki page,
> http://wiki.eprints.org/w/OneShareWishList.  I gather this is related
> to Edshare but I’m not sure if anything has been implemented or if it
> will be applicable as we don’t use Edshare.

The UI for this shouldn't be too difficult - you will need to subclass
Request::Respond, so that instead of sending the document it sends a
link with a secret.

To work with HTML documents you will need to set a cookie (via a
redirecting CGI script) and use that cookie to grant access in
"can_user_view_document"/"can_request_view_document".

--
All the best,
Tim