[EP-tech] Re: Messages do not work in UploadMethod - action_add_format (Error)

Hi,

Is this on the latest EPrints? I thought messages could be
displayed in an ajax context now (perhaps something wrong with the upload
component...).

If you're interested, you may want to look into putting
your "scan" hook into:

- a trigger (when a document object is committed
to the DB, see EP_TRIGGER_AFTER_COMMIT for example)

- when the above
trigger's called you may create an Event which will perform the scan (this
way the uploader doesn't hang on the scan) and take action if necessary.

Voila, I'll look into the other problems tomorrow,

Seb.

On Thu, 21
Jun 2012 18:17:27 +0000,  wrote:  Hi All,

 In the process of attempting to
build a hook for on-demand virus scanning of uploaded files, I've been
tinkering with action_add_format within UploadMethod.pm as it seems the
most relevant location to hook in. In the case of a bad file, I want to
toss the uploaded file and display an error message, comparable to that
which would show up for a file transfer that otherwise fails: as an
example, the existing "file didn't show up" handling code:

 --- snip ---

if( !EPrints::Utils::is_set( $filename ) || !defined $fh )
 {

$processor->{notes}->{upload} = {};
 $processor->add_message( "error",
$self->{session}->html_phrase(
"Plugin/InputForm/Component/Upload:upload_failed" ) );

 return 0;
 }
 ---
snip ---

 In our case, this test would be replaced for an assessment of
the virus scan results on the file, giving pass/fail.

 In building this
process, I think I've found a bit of a bug - the current upload
configuration, using the ajax code to display the upload progress bar,
seems to ignore any add_message() content from ever reaching the workflow
page. No matter where in the subroutine an add_message call is placed; when
it is called as a result of a file being uploaded via the form's File
control, no message appears.

 I've found this to be an issue on Firefox,
IE and Chrome. Interestingly, on IE, the name of any file selected by the
form control persists in the control after upload; if the "Upload" button
is then clicked with the form in this state, add_message calls within
action_add_format are respected, however the progress bar does not
display.

 As is, it seems the message feedback for any sort of upload
trouble seems to be broken, can any others confirm?

 Cheers,

Casey

 Casey Hilliard
PC Consultant,
Health
Sciences Library / QE2 Systems,
Memorial University

This electronic
communication is governed by the terms and conditions at
http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php