From: eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk [mailto:eprints-tech-bounces@ecs.soton.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Sebastien Francois
Sent: 20 April 2012 10:44
To: eprints-tech@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Subject: [EP-tech] Re: Unable to login after upgrading from 3.2.8 to 3.3.8

Hi Alex,

I'm getting an odd behaviour, perhaps because of a mis-configuration at the Apache level....

I run a few tests with cURL, and I noticed that when using the HTTP header 'Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate' (note: this is sent by Firefox), your Apache server returns a 401 without content. Without that header, I get the content from EPrints as expected. I think this comes from Apache because the format of the 401 response doesn't look like EPrints'.

Check if you have mod_deflate (responsible for gzip/deflate) in your Apache/httpd conf, if so, disable it & try again.

Seb.