Re: [EP-tech] Question on export formats in HTML header

Hi Martin,

I think the reason it is still there is that there has not been a good reason to remove it.  There may be other ways of providing a machine-readable means to discover exactly what other formats exist for these particular pages.  However, using link alternates is a well-established and foolproof way of doing so.  Using link alternates for different export formats was added well before my time.  I know previous developers were conscious of making EPrints as interoperable as possible by making sure metadata was both available and discoverable in many different machine-readable forms.

These link alternates do add quite a bit of bloat to the page but this is not something visible to the end user and is not particularly consequential to download speeds.  However, it probably adds a fair bit to the size of the overall HTML cache on the server.

I am happy to discuss alternatives (no pun intended), as it is not something I have particularly investigated up to now.

Regards

David Newman