Re: [EP-tech] Question about relations between eprints and corrections

HI Robin,

Yes, creating a new version that set the succeeds field will knock the original eprint record out of search results.  Therefore, this is clearly something you don't want to do.

For some research data repositories that store datasets that are related to publications that may be in a different repositories or hosted elsewhere, a special compound multiple field called "Related Resources" has sometimes been defined that allows reference to the title, resource type, ID (e.g. DOI, ISSN, etc.), ID type, URL, publication status and name of publication.  A similar approach may be possible for errata.  However, it sounds like the issue is that both of these exist on the same EPrints repository, so you really probably want a field that is like the succeeds field (i.e. of type itemref) but it be a compound multiple field, so you can assign a type and maybe even a description for this relation and maybe define multiple related items, (e.g. you could have multiple errata).

I know my colleague has been working on improving the itemref field's user interface, so you can click on it and it pops a search form, where you can select an item or items from a set of search results.  So there is definitely multiple use cases for wanting to be able to do this.

Regards

David Newman