Re: [EP-tech] error on indexer

Hi Ernesto and John,

Xapian index is a flat file (well a set of flat files) so it cannot be updated by two things at once.  There is a good chance if the EPrints indexer was trying to index at the same time as you ran "epadmin reindex".  There will then be two separate processes trying to modify the Xapian index at the same time, so it will stop one of those process from gaining access.  Therefore, if you are doing a mass reindex of all your eprint records, I would advise stopping and then making sure the EPrints indexer is no longer running.  If you still see the same error message when the indexer is not running then you can probably delete the lock file for the Xapian index.  However, there is always an inherent risk to doing this if somehow some other process is modifying the index (e.g. another reindex command running elsewhere).  On RHEL-based linux this lock file will be called flintlock in the xapian directory (e.g. /opt/eprints3/archives/melt/var/xapian/flintlock).  If you are running Debian-based Linux (e.g. Ubuntu)  I have a recollection that the lock file name is different.

Regards

David Newman