Re: [EP-tech] OAI2 deleted vs destroyed records

Hi Alan,

If previously live records have been completely removed rather than retired then you can expect bad things to happen.  If there is a specific privacy issue that means the record cannot even been retained in a restricted form (retired), then removing may be the only option.  However, the need for this should be vanishingly small and therefore issues like you describe with Primo should be few a far between and may require manual intervention.

The error code idDoesNotExist is deliberately returned by EPrints OAI interface when a record is removed, as in effect the record never existed.  All I can suggest is that Primo should treat getting back idDoesNotExist the same as getting back an item that is marked as deleted.  Obviously, you may want to be a bit more careful about what to do when getting back idDoesNotExist, in case there is some error in the request that mangles the ID so it cannot be found.  I have no idea how Primo could be configured to do this but as far as I can tell EPrints is behaving as it should; reporting completely removed items as not existing whereas retired items are reported as 'Deleted'.

Regards

David Newman