[EP-tech] Custom validation and new MetaFields (institutional id, orcid id)

  • Subject: [EP-tech] Custom validation and new MetaFields (institutional id, orcid id)
  • From: "Graham, Clinton T" <ctgraham@pitt.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 14:36:19 +0000

We are soliciting an Institutional ID and ORCID ID for our users and for our deposits.  Each of these require custom validation.  It seems the best place for this validation is in field_validate.pl, presumably by creating new MetaFields for each of these entries and keying on the new MetaField types.

Is this standard practice?  A brief search doesn't pull documentation or examples of subclassing new MetaFields.

Are there any concerns with adjusting the field types for these fields, for which data already exists in deposited records?

Enjoy,

- Clinton Graham

Systems Developer

University of Pittsburgh | University Library System

412-383-1057